Middle + High School students, what's your message to Washington?
Due January 20th, 2017 - StudentCam is C-SPAN's annual national video documentary competition that encourages students to think seriously about issues that affect our communities and our nation.
Students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a short (5-7 minute) video documentary on a topic related to the 2017 competition theme listed below.
2017 StudentCam Theme - Your Message To Washington
What is the most urgent issue for the new president and Congress to address in 2017?
Your documentary MUST include the following five elements:
1. A complete exploration of your documentary's issue
2. Inclusion of C-SPAN programming relating to your documentary's issue
3. Various opinions about your issue
4. Adherence to the time limit of 5 to 7 minutes. (End credits may run longer but your actual documentary must end by the 7 minute mark)
5. Credits at the end of your documentary or a works cited list
Click the link below for Official Rules and more details.
Prizes are awarded in two separate categories: Middle School & High School. Additionally, prizes for High School students will also be awarded regionally in most instances (West Region, Central Region, East Region)
GRAND PRIZE: 1 award to the best overall entry
* Student(s): $5,000 award
* Teacher/School: $750 to spend on digital video equipment for his/her school.
1ST PRIZE: 4 awards total - 1 per region in the High School category, and 1 in the Middle School category
* Student(s): $3,000 to one middle school entry, $3,000 to three high school entries
* Teachers/Schools: $500 to spend on digital video equipment for their schools.
2ND PRIZE: 16 awards total - 4 per region in the High School category, and 4 in the Middle School category
* Student(s): $1,500 to four middle school entries. $1,500 to twelve high school entries
* Teachers/Schools: $250 to spend on digital video equipment for their schools.
3RD PRIZE: 32 awards total - 8 per region in the High School category, and 8 in the Middle School category
* Student(s): $750 to eight middle school entries. $750 to twenty-four high school entries
* Teachers/Schools: $125 to spend on digital video equipment for their schools.
HONORABLE MENTION: 97 awards (in either category)
* Student(s): $250
Grand, 1st, and 2nd Prize videos may be aired on the C-SPAN Networks.
Open to entrants currently enrolled in middle or high school in any state in the United States, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. Students may be enrolled in public or private schools, or be home-schooled. Students in grades 6-8 will be considered "middle school" entrants; grades 9-12 will be considered "high school" entrants. Students may enter the competition individually, or work in teams of either 2 or 3 students.
Create two Videos for the Johnson & Johnson: Listerine website that embrace an authentic feel for the LISTERINE® BOLD UNDERCOVER series. Listerine wants to document a day in the life of its selected talents based in the United Kingdom, capturing how their morning rituals give them the boldness to take on anything.